Monday, November 19, 2012

Pepperidge Farm Swirl Bread: Caramel Apple



After enjoying the Strawberry Banana flavor so much, when I saw the Caramel Apple flavor on the shelf next to it, apples being another of my favorite fruits, I was compelled to try it. The smell was strong and apple-y. Unfortunately, the taste was not.

I was frankly disappointed. I referenced the strawberry banana as "subtle;" here, the subtlety is enough that it can be hard to taste the apple at all! Plus, I have no idea if there was any caramel in there, period. The texture seemed to have little apple-like chunks in the slices; honestly, the novelty was mostly in the aroma and texture. The flavor didn't scream "caramel apple" to me at all.

To be fair, it could always be that my taste buds were overwhelmed by something (i.e. apple cider), but I'm pretty sure I had a slice without drinking anything that flavorful beforehand and had a similar effect. Maybe my tastebuds just got inured to apple?

It seems that, for fall, Pepperidge Farm introduced this flavor as well as a Pumpkin Spice flavor, which I did not see with this one, interestingly enough (maybe I was distracted by "ooh, Caramel Apple!"). Hopefully I'm wrong about my first impressions on this bread, and hopefully Pumpkin Spice is good too; I really like these creative Swirl breads.

No comments:

Post a Comment